The building was erected between 1859 and 1861 by Major John Parsons and Francis E. Hale for use as a general store. It has 10 inches (250mm) thick tabby walls and 12 inches (300mm) oak beams. The Cedar Key Post Office and customs house were also located in the building in the 1860s. The building may have housed both Union and Confederate troops at various times during the Civil War, as the town changed hands more than once. Part of the building was used as a boarding house by the end of the 1880s. The store closed in 1910. The building became a hotel in 1946.
West Island is a 10 hectares (25 acres)granite island lying 0.8 kilometres (0.50mi) off the southern coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia, 7 kilometres (4.3mi) south-west of the town of Victor Harbor. It rises to a maximum height of about 40 metres (130ft) in the south-west. Its main conservation value lies its seabirdcolonies.
West Island was named for its location 2 kilometres (1.2mi) west of the promontory of Rosetta Head. During the 1880s it was quarried for granite to construct the foundations of Parliament House, Adelaide. From 1913 until the mid-1960s it was zoned as a Reserve for Government Purposes and, for a short period, was used by the Adelaide University Regiment as a target for gunnery practice during field exercises. In 1966 it became a fauna reserve. Until about 1970 fishers took little penguins and rabbits to use as crayfishbait, though the population of rabbits on the island was exterminated by 1971 and it was declared a Conservation Park in 1972. In 1973 and 1975 Pearson Island rock-wallabies were introduced to the island.